Flesh-Eating Bacteria Infect Grandmother After She Gets Cut in Ocean

Two recent cases of flesh-eating bacteria in Florida, one of which led to the death of a woman, are reminders for people to know how to stay safe when swimming this summer. The disease is a bacterial infection that spreads quickly and kills tissue at the infection site and all over the body. It can enter the body after a surgery or through cuts, bug bites or scrapes. Experts warn not to swim in natural bodies of water if you have an open cut or scrape, especially during the summer.