ASAP Rocky has been charged with assault in Sweden, prosecutors said Thursday. He is expected to go on trial next week.
The rapper, whose real name is Rakim Mayers, was taken into custody on July 3 after allegedly fighting outside a restaurant in Stockholm while on tour.
Slobodan Jovicic, ASAP Rocky's attorney, said at a press conference Thursday that his client was grateful for the support he's received from "a lot of different people."
Among those who've waded into the controversy? President Trump, who said last week his wife, Melania Trump, had urged him to take action. “She was telling me about, ‘Can you help ASAP Rocky?'” the president said.
Others have voiced their support for ASAP Rocky as well, including musicians including Justin Bieber and Tyler, the Creator, and elected officials such as Rep. Adriano Espaillat, a New York Democrat representing Harlem, where ASAP Rocky grew up.
Prosecutors said that ASAP Rocky was formally charged in the June 30 incident after they'd reviewed video footage from the scene and heard from witnesses.
"I have today commenced criminal proceedings against the three individuals suspected of assault causing actual bodily harm, having come to the conclusion that the events in question constitute a crime and despite claims of self-defense and provocation,” prosecutor Daniel Suneson said Thursday.
In a video posted to ASAP Rocky's Instagram, he and the men with whom he is walking tell two men to stop following them. “We don’t want to fight you,” ASAP Rocky says in the clip.
Another video of the incident appeared to show ASAP Rocky lifting one of the men off his feet and throwing him to the ground. While the man is down, it appears ASAP Rocky and two other men punch and kick him, a third video posted by TMZ showed.
Jovicic has said his client was acting in self-defense after being followed by two men who would not leave him alone.
But Suneson added that he had reviewed more footage than has been made public.
"It is worth noting that I have had access to a greater amount of material than that which has previously been available on the internet," he said. "In addition to video material, the injured party’s statements have been supported by witness statements."
The trial is expected to take place over the course of three days next week.